Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Story Box...


For the sake of simplicity, most of my writings are kept in a special folder on my computer titled “The Story Box”. Every year or so I make the time to go through the contents of the Story Box and am surprised at what treasures I find. Among the unfinished stories, poems, and prose are fragments of story ideas, some better than others. There are snippets of poems, lists of words, and brief descriptions of characters and circumstances that hopefully will find their way into something larger some day.

Here are just a few of the unfinished stories in my Story Box, all of which are in various states of completion:

The Holly Berry: A tale about ill-fated lovers who find that the cruellest of spells cannot be broken by true love’s kiss.

A Mermaid Tail: In which a mermaid, a magician, and a magic flute must discover the answer to a great mystery.

The Deep South: An attempt at erotica, but with the realization that this is perhaps the most difficult genre of all.

Frog-n-Socks: A tale of one nervous frog who finds himself in the competition of a lifetime.

A Certain Exile: In which I try my hand at a novel.

Mahsa and the Desert Sage: A Persian tale of a young girl who discovers her true strength as she heals her broken heart.

I also found many completed works, which brings great satisfaction, even though most of what I write is for my eyes only. It was an interesting journey to read through the unfinished stories, poems and prose. In some instances, my written thoughts and musings have no general sense of direction other than from my heart to the page. But someday they will be put to use.

It was nice to spend some time reflecting on how far I have come as a writer. This exercise has inspired me to select one or two items to work on in the more immediate future; others just need to percolate a little bit longer.

If you were to look into your Story Box, Paint Box, Music Box, or whatever creative outlet you hold dear, what would you find? More importantly, what will you do with it?

No comments: