Friday, January 13, 2012

Star Pie...



When I was a little girl, I absolutely hated leftovers. However, my mother thought leftovers were wonderful. Now that I have grown up, I understand why. The best thing I have ever created using left overs is a "Star Pie".

Following a dinner of a 'Mediterranean' pot roast, which had been cooked in the slow cooker, there was some wonderful left over beef.

I rolled out a rectangle of puff pastry. Then on one side, I placed pieces of the roast beef, roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes, and some fresh spinach. Next, I folded the puff pastry in half and pinched the edges closed. After brushing with a bit of egg yolk, I placed cut out puff pastry stars on top and gave them a little brush with the egg. The 'star pie' was then cooked in a medium hot oven for about 30 minutes, or until browned.

The results were spectacular! Flaky crust, savoury beef, plenty of green spinach with the sophistication of the sundried tomatoes and roasted garlic…. dare I say it was heavenly?!

If you haven't tried puff pastry, be brave, roll it out and get creative!
This is one 'leftover' dish that has become a 'star' in my cooking repertoire!

No comments: