Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feeling a little Irish today...


Feeling a little bit Irish…

Newfoundland is one of the most beautiful provinces in all of Canada. Along her coastline are soaring cliffs that offer endless views of the sea. The ceaseless tide ensures she is demurely ensconced in a frilly white petticoat where her solid rock base meets the deep blue sea. If you ever have the good luck to visit, beware! Her tides will enchant you, placing you under a spell that is impossible to shake off, and her winds will echo in your heart, no matter how long or how far away you go.

Her people have a friendliness about them that is warm and welcoming, even if you are “from away”. Their sing-song voices have an accent that is unmistakable. And their music is unforgettable. It is all at once bold, bawdy, beautiful, and unmistakeably Irish to it’s very soul. Her “East Coast” music has it’s roots in Ireland, which lies just across the Atlantic ocean to the east. Cape Spear, situated along her shores is the eastern most point of North America. It is the closest to Ireland I have ever been.

I have been to this unforgettable Rock many times, and each time it grows harder to leave. The last time I was there I took a piece of her with me. In a jar on my desk is some sand and rocks from her beaches. On my wall hangs a watercolor painting from a local artist. In my memory the salty sea air hangs, pungent and sharp. In my ears I can still hear that wonderful music. It must have been fate that compelled me to buy a bodhran on my very first trip. I fell instantly in love with her music and wanted to play a part in it. My bodhran is a work of art in itself. It is a beautiful Irish frame drum, covered in goatskin and decorated with Celtic artwork of musicians playing the harp, the fiddle, the flute, and the drum. For years I have been trying to learn how to play this drum. I am getting better, but have a long way to go. I hope that someday the drumming will be as easy as breathing.

As today is St. Patrick’s Day, I plan to celebrate in my own little way. I will put on my “East Coast” music, turn it up so it fills the room, and I will once again play my drum. I will play it loud, fast, and furious. I will play it until my wrist is sore and I can no longer sit still. As always, it will feel good to get lost in the music, if only for a little while. I will be transported back to Newfoundland, a magical place that has captured my heart and imagination.




No comments: