Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Deviant art...

Late on night, while working in the morgue, as I was finishing up the last autopsy, I heard a groan.

This was the lead sentence for a short story assignment I completed in grade four. Instead of earning me a grade for my work which was completed on time, contained proper sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling, and was an original story idea, it earned me a trip to the principal’s office. I learned that day that he is not really your ‘pal’ as the teachers had told us when we were learning to spell the word principal. He decided that the best course of action for such an outlandish story was a trip to see the school-board psychiatrist. Apparently a young child should not be preoccupied with death. Who among us has not been fascinated by a dead bird found in the cemetery? Of course, when I expressed this I was told that "most kids don’t play in cemeteries”. Well, I did. The entire “inappropriate story” experience with the principal, the psychiatrist, and the horrified teacher was my first introduction to censorship at its finest.

Fast forward to grade seven. In art class we were studying ‘still life’ drawings. Our assignment was to draw a ‘still life’ and the entire class would have their pictures displayed in the glass cabinets in the main hall of the school for Parents Night. My interest in all things macabre had not waned, but I had managed to keep it in check for so many years. However, this assignment was begging for something unique. There are only so many bowls of oranges one can draw.

I set out to draw a still life. I drew a table, using proper perspective, with a flowered cloth draped across and falling artfully to the side, to show I could draw ‘folds’. I drew a vase slightly off center of the table. It was tall, slightly ovoid in shape, with a wide-brimmed mouth. In the vase I drew a variety of limbs. It was perhaps this that got me into trouble. For you see, my limbs were not dead or wooden, from some ancient tree.

My limbs were various arms, hands, legs, and feet. One arm extended up, and, bent at the elbow, the fingers pointed to the flowers on the table. It looked like a broken flower itself. My limbs were not bloody, gory, or otherwise shocking. My limbs were healthy, pink, tan, brown, and yellow. All nationalities of skin color were represented. Fingers and toes were softly splayed like the petals on flowers; the nail beds showed a healthy glow. After all, this was a drawing about life; my limbs were alive. They were just ‘still’ as in ‘not moving’. My limbs were arranged to look like a bouquet of flowers, that ubiquitous form from which I had drawn my inspiration.

Again, my creativity and curiosity earned me a trip to the psychologists office for another ‘assessment’. Mine was the only drawing not included in the show-case in the main hall of the school. Censored yet again, I went underground. I was still fascinated with all things odd. I wanted to push the boundaries and think outside the box. I was curious. I wanted to learn, to experiment, and to try new things. But, it seemed the adults around me were more interested in having me remain in the box. They thought my interests made me somehow ‘deviant’. I saw it as a healthy curiosity for someone who wanted to be a forensic pathologist.

No comments: