Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The girl from nowhere...

Her hair was golden blonde, wispy and fine, falling across her slender shoulders. Her laugh was genuine and her eyes were brown. From within her came a spirit and love of life that was impossible to ignore and radiated outward, touching me in a profound way. She was of the age when a young girl is budding into a woman. She was the daughter of someone I knew. And for one wonderful weekend I spent time with this amazing young woman, learning about her and sharing some about me.

We hit it off like two long-lost friends, despite our age difference. We spent time talking, as all girls do. We shared our hopes and fears. We spoke of our dreams and planned our respective futures. We walked in the afternoon sun, rode bicycles, explored the garden at her home, and all the while I marveled at her kindness, her compassion, her intelligence, and sense of hope.

When our time was over it was hard to say goodbye. I vowed not to cry. I wanted her to remember our time together with happiness. We had bonded like sisters but I had grown to love her as a mother would love her own child. Saying goodbye was so very hard. Luckily, I did not have to do it. I awoke before I had to let her go.

No comments: