Saturday, September 26, 2009

Some bunny loves you...


This bunny came into my life recently in a most unexpected way. I was travelling for business and was once again sleeping in one of hundreds of hotels as I have done thousands of times over the past 10 years. But this particular night was different. I had a dream that brought to my soul the deep love a mother feels for a child. This is quite remarkable as I have no children of my own and have never felt the call to be a mother. I love and enjoy others children, and have devoted a significant portion of my professional life working with children, but there are no children of my own to love.

However, the dream I had while sleeping in this hotel, the one I wrote of here in this blog under a post titled “The girl from nowhere…” was a most amazing experience. The love I felt was so profound, unlike any feeling of love I have ever experienced before. When I awoke, I had to write down this most remarkable dream, so I pulled out my laptop and searched for an outlet to plug the power supply into. When I moved a chair out of the corner of the room in search for the outlet, I found this long-forgotten white bunny rabbit. This discovery made me come to a complete stop. How odd… a white rabbit. This discovery brought tears to my eyes, those which I had been holding back all morning. And so for a some time I wept for the child I never had.

After pulling myself together, I thought of the child who had left this rabbit behind… and wondered how much this floppy toy might be missed. I contemplated turning the rabbit in to the “lost and found” but selfishly decided I needed this rabbit more than the child who had lost it. I was going through a difficult time and took the rabbit as a symbol of promise, rebirth, and balance. Long associated with fertility, I found it remarkable that the rabbit appeared to me the morning after my dream which evoked such maternal longings. I have never felt that way before. I hope I never feel that way again. It was lovely and painful all at once. I wish it had never happened. Because now there is the sense of emptiness.


No comments: