Sunday, December 20, 2009

My favourite mornings...


Some of my most favourite mornings are those when I wake up with a poem in my mind. Sometimes I think the ideas themselves wake me up. There is no choice but to get out of bed and put pen to paper. Secreted away in each room of my house are blank index cards and pencils so I can capture the words, ideas, and thoughts before they evaporate. I have tried remembering them, the exact turn of phrase that seems so perfect, but sometimes once they are gone, they are gone forever.

Often I place these cards, with their snippets of verse or rhyme, into the book I am currently reading, with the thought that the words will eventually be transformed into the poem they were meant for. But sometimes, with life being as busy as it is, I forget them there and they remain hidden, frozen in place. The words and ideas, not fully fleshed out or finished, remain suspended in time. And then one day, I open the book again and find them there, waiting for me.

This is what happened to me on this winter morning. I picked up a book I had been reading quite some time ago and found within its pages some of my index cards with the earliest beginnings of a children’s poem. The words came rushing back to me and have reignited my desire to write this poem, to give it life and being. So, today I shall spend some time constructing the poem from these ‘word bones’, bringing to life the story and the rhyme. It should be challenging and fun! Perhaps some day I will post the poem here, to share it with you.

No comments: