Saturday, September 1, 2012

It's been sew long...




…. since I have done any sewing! But, the 'sewing bug' has taken hold after many years of dormancy and I have been thinking about sewing myself something pretty. But first I need to take my Montgomery Ward 1908b sewing machine to the local sewing shop and get it serviced.

This machine was a gift from my Mother when I graduated from high school in 1982. I loved it from the moment I first laid eyes on it. Over the past twenty or so years (yikes!), I have made many, many things with this wonderful little sewing machine.

In junior high and high school I took home economics and really enjoyed both the sewing classes and the cooking classes. I believe I missed my calling as I really, really want to be a stay-at-home wife who cooks, sews, and keeps a nice house.

Call me old-fashioned, but after a 20+ year career as a healthcare professional who holds a master's and a doctorate degree, nothing would thrill me more than to be able make a decent flaky pie crust. But I digress...

Some of my favourite things sewn over the years have included nightgowns, dresses, and skirts. I even made curtains for my first house, which magically transformed it into a home.

The first item on the sewing agenda: a long nightgown. It would be nice to make one long enough to cover my ankles as the store-bought ones are never long enough for my tall frame.

No comments: